Advanced Learner Loans - Spend

In 2017/18 ALL spend accounted for almost £8,500 million of which just over 40% was accounted for by learners living within Birmingham, 12% in both Sandwell and Coventry, 11% Dudley, 10% Walsall, 9% Wolverhampton and 5% Solihull.

Advanced Learner Loan spend by Local Authority

Graph showing Advanced Learner Loan spend by Local Authority

Advanced Learner Loan spend by LEP area

Graph showing Advanced Learner Loan spend by LEP area

46% by learners living within Birmingham and Solihull LEP area, 42% within the Black Country LEP and 12% within Coventry and Warwickshire LEP area.

Advanced Learner Loan spend by Level

Graph showing Advanced Learner Loan spend by Level

97% related to Level 3 enrolments and the remaining 3% to Level 4.

Advanced Learner Loan spend by ward

Heatmap showing Advanced Learner Loan spend by ward

Particular concentrations of Advanced Learner Loan spend is evident in a number of wards, particularly in Birmingham, but also in Sandwell, Dudley, Coventry and Wolverhampton.

Advanced Learner Loan spend by sector – Top 15 Professional and Technical sectors

Graph showing Advanced Learner Loan spend by sector - Top 15 Professional and Technical sectors

19% of the spend relates to health and social care.

Advanced Learner Loan spend by employment status upon enrolment

Graph showing Advanced Learner Loan spend by employment status upon enrolment

23% was accounted for by unemployed learners, a further 22% by learners out of work but not looking for work and half of learners were in paid employment.

Advanced Learner Loan spend in relation to unemployed by age

Graph showing Advanced Learner Loan spend in relation to unemployed by age

Of the £1.9 million spend relating to unemployed learners, almost 75% was accounted for by those aged 24+.