South Staffordshire College was created in 2009 when four colleges (Lichfield, Cannock, Tamworth and Rodbaston) came together to make one of the largest colleges in the UK, serving the areas of Staffordshire and the West Midlands. Each of the original colleges has its own unique historical roots, tied inevitably to the locality. Cannock College opened as ‘Cannock Mining College’ in 1929 and is now our engineering and digital hub. Lichfield College, traditionally the ‘Lichfield School of Art’, dates back to the late 1700s. Rodbaston College originates in the post – First World War period, in a bid to improve the future efficiency of agriculture and this is now an animal care and land-based college. Tamworth College – the youngest of the colleges, was purpose-built as a vocational college of further education in 1954. One thing that connects our colleges then and now, is the tradition of service to the community and responsiveness to local needs, which the college will always continue to uphold.
South Staffordshire College welcomes thousands of students each year to create their careers across a broad range of subjects, and with opportunities available from full time courses, apprenticeships, part time study and community-based courses, there really is something for everyone. The college’s apprenticeship provision supports employers across the Staffordshire and West Midlands regions, and we are very proud to have been awarded top college in the West Midlands for overall achievement in apprenticeships, as well as the college being a finalist in the 2020 School Leaver Awards.
Advanced and Higher Technical Specialisms
Media, Creative and Broadcasting
- Creative media production, games production, art and design and broadcasting.
- Technician standard vehicle repair, including hybrid and electric vehicles.
Construction and Housing
- Construction management, project management, planning, AutoCAD design, construction techniques, traditional and modern construction techniques.
Electronics, Machinery and Parts
- Electronic and electrical engineering, PLC control, pneumatic systems, hydraulic control, computer numerical control, testing and inspection, design and verification.
- BPEC Gas, LPG & water regs.
Steel and metal manufacturing
- Computer numerical design, Auto CAD (computer aided design) hydraulic & pneumatic maintenance, robotics, 3D research & development and PLC control systems.
- Animal care, agriculture, equine, vet care.
Health Care and Teaching
- Early years, health and social care.
Key Facts 2020/21
|ESFA financial health rating||Outstanding|
|Current Ofsted grade||Good|